Tuesday, September 28, 2010


EYES
Today I looked into a beautiful pair of brown eyes. They sparkled, they danced, they said "Isn't it a great day? I love you." I picked up my granddaughter, gave her a tight hug, and told her, "I will love you forever." She said, "I love you too- forever, now let's have breakfast."

Today I went with my mom and dad to an adult day-care facility. Mom's Alzheimer is at a point that she is afraid to stay alone, afraid to stay with dad, just plain afraid. When she asks "Where's dad?" I am never sure if she means my dad or her dad? At times she is a young girl looking for her parents. At other times she is looking for her husband, my dad. The hardest part is when he is sitting right next to her. I know if I say he is here she will become angry and frustrated because she thinks its a trick. So I look into the eyes of the woman who is such an incredible mom and I do what she whipped me many times for doing as a small child... I lie. "I don't know where he is?" Or, I mumble something that even I don't understand. Today I prayed that she would like the facility. It would be a place for her to go, visit, sing, and laugh with others. It is also the place that will give my dad a much needed break from the 36-hour day of Alzheimer's care-giving.

Today was picture-day at the facility. They asked me to man the camera and get a group picture before going in for lunch. I was searching the faces in that group. What could I read from them. Were they happy, were they cared for, was this a safe and happy place for mom?

Today I looked into a beautiful pair of brown eyes. They sparkled, they danced, they said "Isn't it a great day? It is good here." I smiled into her eyes, as she pushed her walker my way, she smiled and winked her eye." It said, "It will be okay, she will love you forever." And then we had lunch.

The Bible says the eyes are a window to the soul. I want my eyes to reflect the joy, peace, kindness, and the unconditional love of the Father to anyone who looks my way.

No comments:

Post a Comment